The Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC) is named for former BYU president Franklin Stewart Harris. Born in Benjamin, Utah Territory, in 1884, he began his studies at BYU and finished with a doctorate in agronomy from Cornell University. In…

By 1962, enrollment had increased by 25% as hundreds of returned missionaries and transfer students swelled the student populations to unprecedented levels. Even with the recent additions of Heritage and Helaman Halls, the rise in the student…

In 1953, and in response to a rising need for affordable student housing, BYU administration completed the plan for a new complex of men’s dorm rooms. Originally to be located in the northeast portion of campus, it was soon moved to a plot of land…

By the early 1950’s, many of the early BYU student housing was old or soon to be turned over to the Language Training Mission, the predecessor to the MTC. To help provide space for single students, BYU President Ernest Wilkinson announced the…

In 1820, Joseph Shissler and John Siers purchased the first one hundred and sixty acres of what was to become the 21 Ranch. Originally a squatter’s claim on the land of the Nez Perce Tribe, or Nimi'ipuu, the property now borders the reservation’s…

Known affectionately as Uncle Jesse, Jesse Knight’s generosity made him crucial to the development of the early BYU and the economic success of the area. He helped to make BYU the school that it is today and earned the honor of a building bearing…