The CCC in the West

A series of stories detailing projects of the New Deal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in western National Monuments and National Park.

The CCC & the Painted Desert Inn

A building known as ‘The Stone Treehouse’ stood in 1924 on the site where today the Painted Desert Inn stands. This building, in the style known architecturally as ‘National Park Rustic,’ looked strikingly different from what visitors to the…

The CCC & Rim Rock Drive

Rim Rock Drive is commonly regarded as one of the most beautiful roads in America. Three different New Deal agencies began construction of Rim Rock Drive: the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Public Works Administration (PWA), and the Works…

The CCC & Arches National Monument and Park

The area which is now Arches National Park first came to the attention of the government in the early part of the 20th century. In 1929, President Herbert Hoover designated 4,500 acres of the region a National Monument and in 1938 President Franklin…

The CCC & Capitol Reef National Monument

In 1937, President Franklin Roosevelt designated 37,711 acres of land in Utah as Capitol Reef National Monument. The new monument was under the jurisdiction of Zion National Park until becoming its own National Park in 1971 under President Richard…